Background

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Update on this side of Pond

 Well, after a couple of false starts, I'm going to try to update everyone, again.  We've been busy over here on this side of the pond, and fall has given us very good weather so far.  Below you see me running the Trails for Tails.  Joe was running too, but he is way far ahead.  Christine was there with her work, and Grandma even helped her a bit.


Boo at the Zoo is going strong now.  They really have outdone themselves with the decorations.  This is as you walk toward the Stingrays' inlet.




Every time I go to the Zoo, I stop to see my buddies the vultures, Boris and Natasha.  They are almost always busy fixing their nest.  Apparently, I'm told, that Boris will put a stick in the nest, then Natasha will come along and move it somewhere else. 


 Next door to the buzzards is the American Eagle.  He/she is more sedate and just watches people.  Since he/she is kind of out of the way, many people don't see this guy.  I don't know, but I assume he was injured and rehabbed so he can be exhibited.
 And, when I work in the birdhouse, here is what I do:  those are peanuts which I shuck.

These are waxworms, which I separate from the small flecks of wood that they are shipped in.  Apparently, some of the picky birds need me to provide this service.
 And, I wash the feed dishes, and set them there to dry.  I also make mix up kale and romaine for greens.  I spared you that.
 A couple weeks ago, the Santa swap occurred for the year.  This is Aunt Carolyn's year to have it, so Grandma and I took him over and we went to Moonlight Restaurant for lunch.  Aunt Carolyn had found this pirate Santa, and bought it for me.


In case you hadn't heard, John McCarthy is the new Captain of the Barracuda.  They played the first game last night, but lost, I think it was 3-2.
 I'm not sure if you heard about the senseless murder of a St. Louis County police officer.  He was shot point blank from a guy in a car who had been disturbing the neighborhood.  Turns out the officer, Blake Snyder, was the son of my former dean at Lewis and Clark, and his brother is a pediatric dentist in Godfrey.  The funeral was Thursday, and every overpass had large flags flying over them.  The procession literally went on for miles.  His funeral was in a church in the Valley, and he was buried in Godfrey, where Earle, and our Grandmas, and Grandpas are buried.




This week at the butterfly house I saw something I had not seen there before.  This butterfly laid a large number of eggs on the underside of that leaf.  They are little yellow dots lined up in rows.  She eventually laid about twice that number.

Below is a picture of Grandma preparing for the stein-holding contest.  It's a Masskrug (large stein in German) and it has to be held straight out.  She and Wendy, our friend, competed.  Neither won the whole thing, but Grandma did very well.  I don't know if the video will play, but it downloaded, so we'll see. 


 The last even to document is the Fest-of-Ales, at the Missouri Botanical Garden.  They had abut 30 different craft beers for tasting, and live music.  The weather was absolutely wonderful, and so was the company. 











 That's about it from here.  Hopefully, I'll get this down a bit more timely next time.

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures guys. I will show the kids when they get home from school. I am working on the blog today. We had a fun and wet trip to Winsor yesterday. Fest-of-all looked fun.

    ReplyDelete